Skip to main content

CHSPE - California High School Proficiency Examination

You can earn the legal equivalent of a high school diploma by proving your proficiency in basic skills through the CHSPE. Passing this exam does not exempt a student from attending school unless he or she is 16 or older and has verified parental permission to leave school early. You can print a copy of the bulletin and registration form from their website by clicking here, or send an e-mail message to the California Department of Education at

Who can take the test?
You can take the test if you are 16 or older, or have completed one academic year of 10th grade, or are enrolled in the second semester of 10th grade.

Where is the test given?
There is at least one test administration center in most California counties; some counties have more than one test administration center. A list of the counties and test centers may be found on the CHSPE website.  Use the link above.